About Me

My photo
I recently moved back to my hometown of Vale, to live with my father who is 79. It's a small, high-desert town in Eastern Oregon, whose residents are sturdy, hard-working people with strong ties to family and deep roots in the land. Quiet and peaceful, it's a place where a man can take the time to know his own mind and bond with his dog.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Day is the Story...


I forget sometimes that my happiness comes from the events of the life I live today, only today. For much of my life, I haven't been present enough to really enjoy and celebrate the pieces of the day that shine light on me. It's easy to wake up, immediately wrap yourself in the problems and behaviours of past days, and sometimes even past years. Justifying bad behaviour is easy when you present your problems. "You don't understand! If you had the same problems as I did I'm sure you would act the same! Probably much worse, since I'm better than you!" And of course this justification only made the problems and pain of my life grow bigger, taking on a life of their own. It was justifieded though. Just ask me. I would tell you. Not my fault!

Today I was able to celebrate my life with two cups of coffee, a toasted bagel with onion and chives cream cheese, fresh carrot and apple and ginger juice brewed in my juicer, watched Dakota run the puppy out of himself, chasing Starlings at the park; never catching them but running, first left, then right, then left, then right, again, hither nither until he collapsed at my feet with no puppy energy left (not even in one bone), pulled some weeks in the yard and set the water tractor for a pass-through irrigation, vacuumed the car out for my Dad and his lady friend who will travel tomorrow on their adventerous two days of celebration, took Dakota to Bully Creek to play in the water. and watched him put his head out the back window and then step on the electric window switch with one paw which closed the window tight to his neck trapping his whining head outside the car while his body wriggled inside to try and free himself! With some help from his Master (that's me), we were able to remedy his problem without him becoming too upset. All in all a great day. Enjoyed the moments. Celebrated my day. Loved my dog. Helped my dad.
No justification today for problems. There was only time today to celebrate love and light.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great day. I hope many more to come. I'm also glad you are staying with Grandpa. We hope to visit this summer, but with Clint's work schedule we will never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You figured out how we could all leave a comment. Thanks. Sounds like a great day. Mine was spent outside too. We are having rain, sun, rain. It's actually very nice. I caught the sun out just in the amount of time to weed wack the yard and mow. I love being outside.

    ReplyDelete