About Me

My photo
I recently moved back to my hometown of Vale, to live with my father who is 79. It's a small, high-desert town in Eastern Oregon, whose residents are sturdy, hard-working people with strong ties to family and deep roots in the land. Quiet and peaceful, it's a place where a man can take the time to know his own mind and bond with his dog.

Friday, July 31, 2009

County Fair

The Malheur County Fair is 100-years old this year. It was originally known as the Corn Festival. And by the looks of these square dancers they could still be corn growers. There's lots of corn grown in this country. The old-timers say that during hot weather you can go out in a corn field and hear it grow, it grows so fast!

A bunch of family went over on Wednesday evening to watch the County Fair Talent Contest, which my niece Santana competed in. She won first prize and $300 and the right to compete in the Oregon State Fair. She sang some country western song, something about losing her man, smoking a cigarette and drinking a six-pack of beer. She hit the high notes though.

I had alot of fun with my photography. The three photos posted here just might make my triptych collection. They're my favorites. I've posted more in a slide show and hope you all enjoy them. Click on the slide show to the left to view them in larger scale. Hope you all enjoy your county fair as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat:
    That's great about Santana. Tell her congratulations from me please.
    I saw some pictures on Mom's blog about he being in Vale. I'm glad to see you and Grandpa are doing well. Please tell him hi from me.
    The flowers you planted looked great. That makes a house like that a lot nicer to live in.

    -D

    ReplyDelete