About Me

My photo
I recently moved back to my hometown of Vale, to live with my father who is 79. It's a small, high-desert town in Eastern Oregon, whose residents are sturdy, hard-working people with strong ties to family and deep roots in the land. Quiet and peaceful, it's a place where a man can take the time to know his own mind and bond with his dog.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Small Town Patriotism...

I don't think there is anything more special than witnessing our nation's birthday in a small town. Vale has a long tradition of celebrating the 4th of July, always with lot's of family, flags, parade and rodeo. The Vale 4th of July parade was 101 years old this year. The Vale Rodeo turned 95.

The citizens in this part of the country have a strong sense of national pride. Sure they're opinionated, when it comes to politics, and they'll all tell you that government should stay out of their business! But when it comes to loving our country they are willing to die for it. Many have sent their sons and daughters to war over the past many decades to defend America's freedom and liberty, and die for our country is what many have done.

I rode in the parade with my dad in his 1942 Chevrolet pickup, throwing candy to all the kids on the parade route. Put on my best 'Great Gatsby' look and had a great time. Also spent a couple of nights doing some photography at the rodeo. Hope you all enjoy the pics.

Must say, I'm grateful to be an American! No matter what our problems, I'm very very grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat: Glad you had a good time on the Fourth. I remember the one we shared with you guys a few years ago - it was a great time.
    Couldn't agree with the people of Vale more: Stay out of my business. I might disagree with them about how far that extends. Like, for example, quit interfering with the voluntary sales of drugs by willing adults to willing adults.

    ReplyDelete